Healthy breakfast during the pregnancy - what to have?

Below is some examples of what I had as a breakfast during my pregnancy. I think that good nutrition and paying attention to what I ate really gave me much more energy to go and teach my yoga classes and to stay active until almost the end of my pregnancy as I was still teaching my classes when eight months pregnant. Every day starts with a breakfast so it is important to start a day eating as well as possible. 
Of course if you are having nausea - I had at the beginning of my pregnancy and that was the time when I was traveling in southern India- it is just important to try to be able to eat something and to stay well hydrated. For me eating pretzels and drinking fruit juices while still in bed worked best for nausea and also cereals with milk felt good as a breakfast after getting up. It is important to follow your intuition about what feels good for you in the moment of having nausea.Sometimes it is a sign that you really need to just rest more and relax.

Below is some healthy examples of breakfast I had when pregnant and these have been working for me also after giving birth now that I am nursing my baby. 




It is a good idea to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables of different colors to get diversity of different phyto-nutrients which help prevent disease and keep the body working properly . I was taking Ladyvita Mama pregnancy vitamin supplements that included also calcium, I noticed that many brands didn't have calcium included. I am still taking them because it is a very good idea to continue boosting vitamin and mineral stocks of the body also when nursing the baby. I took some extra iron, magnesium and Lacto7 lactic acid bacteria supplements as well as Zinzino Balance Oil Omega3 supplement. I realized that my baby hasn't suffered much stomachaches and I think its because I am still taking two Lacto7 per day. Good quality Omega3 oil helps to prevent allergies for the baby and it also supports baby's brain development and good vision. I am taking Omega3 supplement every day. In the bottle at the picture above there is Pakuri drink that is one of Finish superfoods to boost the immune system. It is ok to have Pakuri when pregnant and I was enjoying some Pakuri tea, not every day but occasionally during my pregnancy.

Green smoothie is excellent breakfast as its important to get plenty of folate in your diet during pregnancy.Leafy greens like kale and spinach in your smoothie will do the trick. I was also adding frozen nettles one handful after I find out that I needed some extra iron. The basic recipe I used included:

1 banana,
1 pealed apple,
2 handfuls of kale or spinach,
1/2 squeezed lemon and fresh water

Sometimes I added also 1 avocado and a tablespoon of chia seeds to the smoothie. Chia seeds are a great plant source of Omega 3s that are beneficial fatty acids for you and your baby. Avocado is also high in healthy fats.Now that I am nursing I sometimes add one tablespoon of high quality green powder to my green smoothie.


Fiber-rich rye bread is also one of my favorite breakfasts.I had rye bread covered with organic butter, cheese, salad, baby tomatoes, cucumber and red pepper, a cup of coffee with milk and some strawberries and dark chocolate bites as a little treat. It is ok to have a daily cup of coffee I think, although during my first 5 weeks of pregnancy I couldn't have even one cup of coffee. I think that it is also important to give yourself some treats like dark chocolate or raw chocolate to keep yourself happy as your mood also affects to your baby's mood.




It is important to get enough protein during pregnancy and lactation. Omelet as a breakfast or lunch offers high quality protein for vegetarians as well. Citrus fruits as well as orange juice are great sources of vitamin C.

Oatmeal with berries, nuts and yogurt is a great breakfast that keeps the hunger away for a while.Oats contain many vital nutrients that are needed during the prenatal period. Yogurt or milk with the porridge helps keep the calcium level high. I prefer to add whole milk and some butter and blueberries to my oatmeal to get some healthy fats and vitamins as well.   


       

Juicing the fruits and veggies is a wonderful way to increase the intake of them in an easy way. Beetroots have a lot of iron in them and one of my favorite juices consists of:

1 apple
1 carrot
1 beet

All mixed in a juicer, so simple and it is full of good energy : )

   I hope these tips are helpful for you, what is your favorite breakfast ? I will keep on posting some recipes that I find delicious, healthy and easy to prepare when one might be busy taking care of the little one of the family. I will also soon post about Yin yoga sequence that feels great to do when pregnant. I hope you have a lovely Sunday and the beginning of the week! Xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sun salutations prenatal yoga sequence

SUNNY DAYS AND YOGA AT CANARY ISLANDS PART II

SUNNY DAYS AND YOGA AT CANARY ISLANDS PART I